Sharing the story, the science, and the adventure of NASA's scientific explorations
of our home planet, the solar system, and the universe beyond!
Welcome to the NASA Science Mission Directorate Science Activation Community’s public web site, providing content and strategies for formal and informal educators and the public to enable learning, build science literacy, and support national and local goals to improve science, technology, engineering, art, and mathematics literacy and practice.
NASA’s Science Mission Directorate (SMD) uniquely contributes to this effort by partnering scientists, educators, and communicators in providing authentic science-based content and experiences based on identified audience needs and refined by rigorous evaluation. This program provides a return on the public's investment in NASA and engages learners of all ages and backgrounds in discovering the universe and the processes of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) for themselves, broadening public participation in NASA's mission and STEM disciplines.
On this site, you will find information about NASA SMD resources, events and opportunities, funding opportunities, conferences and meetings for the community of SMD education and communications professionals and projects, and more!
View SMD Science Activation Overviews and Impacts
All content posted to the workspace is tagged using the terms in the filters on the left sidebar; this allows users to quickly narrow down the content of the workspace.
- The FEED tab (tutorial here) contains the majority of the content on the site (posts and events).
- Event information can be viewed by clicking on the CALENDAR tab (tutorial here).
- The TOPICS tab (tutorial here) organizes selected content by theme (e.g., documents for a particular conference, or literature searches and professional development about working with a particular audience). This information also can be searched through the FEED Tab.
- The PROJECTS tab (tutorial here) houses profiles for SMD STEM projects.
- The PEOPLE tab (tutorial here) contains a list of all Science Mission Directorate Community members, their contact information, and additional professional information.
- A+ The K-12 Educators button at the top of the page shows content relevant to K-12 educators (elementary, middle, and high school) in the FEED tab.
- The Higher Education Faculty button at the top of the page shows content relevant to faculty members in colleges and universities in the FEED tab.
- The Informal Educators button at the top of the page shows content relevant to informal educators (those in science centers, museums, planetariums, libraries, etc.) in the FEED tab.
- The Materials Developers button at the top of the page shows content relevant to those who create educational materials for educators, students, and the public.
- The Scientists button at the top of the page shows content relevant to scientists, including opportunities and avenues to get involved in E/PO.
- View all tutorial videos
More About NASA's Science Mission Directorate Science Activation Programs