December 2013 Earth Science E/PO Nuggets
Tags: General Public | NASA Headquarters | SMD E/PO Community | Nuggets
December 2013 Submitted Nuggets
Kristyn Damadeo (E/PO Lead for SAGE II on ISS) and Sarah Crecelius (E/PO Coordinator for S’COOL and MY NASA DATA) from NASA LaRC E/PO supported AGU by participating in the following events:
- 12/8/2013, Exploration Station: SD E/PO Classroom Ready Lessons and Activities (~500 attendees),
- 12/9/2013, GIFT Share-a-thon: SAGE III on ISS Lesson Plans and Classroom Engagement (~50 Teachers),
- 12/10/2013, GIFT Share-a-thon: S’COOL - Overview of the Project and Observation Steps (~50 Teachers),
- 12/12/2013, Poster Session: S’COOL- Citizen Science Validation using MAGIC Scientists Ground Data,
- 12/12/2013, Hyper Wall Presentation: MY NASA DATA/GLOBE - Taking NASA data from Space to the class room (~ 20 seats and bystanders),
- 12/13/2013, Poster Session: SAGE III on ISS – Sky Art.
Sarah Crecelius (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Dorian Janney (E/PO for GPM) submitted three Nuggets showcasing student and teacher partnerships and learning;
- GLOBE Atmospheric protocols and rain gauges,
- GPM and MMS E/PO collaborated to host several teacher training workshops on extreme weather,
- GPM and Earth-to-Sky collaborated on workshops for FWS/NPS interpreters on snowfall measurements and impacts.
Dorian Janney (Dorian.email@example.com)
Kristin Weaver and GPM have created a Core Observatory Paper satellite model.
- Premiered at GPM Family day at GSFC with over 300 participants,
- Used in online courses for STEM Pipeline collaborative between GPM and GSFC Office of Education,
- 18 teachers involved each had to make their own model, and post a picture of the results,
- In the past two months, the page has received 314 views, 149 unique. http://go.usa.gov/Zn54,
- The model has been featured on GPM’s social media outlets.
Kristen Weaver (Kristen..firstname.lastname@example.org)
Emily Schaller’s Nugget reports on undergraduate interns presenting their summer research, NASA Student Airborne Research Program (SARP) at AGU.
- Eleven undergraduates their summer internship results in scientific sessions.
- Topics included atmospheric sciences, biogeosciences, and ocean sciences.
- All students haled from different colleges and universities from across the United States.
- SARP alumni and staff from 2009-2013, gathered for an alumni reunion dinner attended by NASA administrators Dr. Jack Kaye (Associate Director for Research, Earth Science Division), Randy Albertson (Deputy Director, NASA Airborne Science Program) and Andrew Roberts (former NASA Airborne Science Program Director)
Emily Schaller (Emily.email@example.com)