Mosquito Blitz Week!
Tags: Families | General Public | Informal | Educator | Citizen Science | Community Posts | Earth Science
GLOBE Observer Mosquito Blitz kicks off on Sunday, April 7 and ends on Citizen Science Day, April 13. We invite you, your family and friends to join us in this focused effort to gather observations of mosquito breeding sites.
To participate, simply follow these seven steps:
- Grab your mobile phone containing the GLOBE Observer app and open the Mosquito Habitat Mapper.
- Go outside to check your local environment for standing water (mosquito breeding sites).
- Take a photo of the site.
- Check the water for the presence of mosquito larvae. (No larvae is valuable data!)
- If possible, identify the type of mosquito larvae (optional step - instructions are in the app).
- Eliminate the standing water if feasible.
- Upload your observations.
Certificates will be awarded for the top number of observations and for the best photos.
Don't have the app? You can download it for FREE (https://observer.globe.gov/about/get-the-app ) from the Google Play Store or from iTunes (just search for "GLOBE Observer"). Be sure to register to get started hunting for mosquito larvae.
Mark your calendar and plan on joining our blitz!
Check out the Mosquito Blitz website: http://bit.ly/M-Blitz