Dr. Grier is a Senior Scientist and Education Specialist. Grier has broad interests in science education and public outreach. These interests include: scientist and engineer (subject matter expert 'SME') engagement in education, the development of critical thinking skills, and imparting an understanding of our context within the Solar System and larger universe. Some of her specific work has included: working with school systems to develop science curricula; partnering with science museums to vet exhibit content; developing resources for scientsts to engage in education efforts; offering professional development workshops to scientists, teachers, and Girl Scout Leaders; and teaching pre- and in-service teachers at both university and community colleges.
Her research interests and areas of expertise include: analysis of multispectral images of terrestrial planets and asteroids, thermal impact crater formation and morphology, and chronologies of impact events and solid surfaces through examination of remote sensing and isotopic age data. Some of her specific research has: determined the relative ages of rayed impact craters on the Moon through optical maturity of crater ejecta, dated fluvial channels on Mars with impact crater statistics, found the ages of thermal impact events on asteroids by examination of meteorites, and estimated the time of formation of the Gardnos impact structure on Earth.
When not engaged in research or education projects, Dr. Grier: writes and reads science fiction stories and poetry, blogs at “Fictional Planet” http://jagrier.com makes and sells beaded gemstone jewelry, goes wine tasting, plays video games, and thinks about getting a cat.
Asteroid 7807 Grier was named in her honor citing both her science and education work. http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/sbdb.cgi?sstr=7807&orb=1
American Astronomical Society
AAS Division of Planetary Sciences
AAS High Energy Division
American Geophysical Union
Selected and Recent Education and Science Books, Abstracts, and Papers:
- Grier, J.A. ; Buxner, S. ; Vezino, B. ; Shipp, S. Space Scientists and Engineers' Engagement in Education and Public Outreach — Comparison of Survey Results. 46th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held March 16-20, 2015 in The Woodlands, Texas. LPI Contribution No. 1832, p.2500. 2015.
- Grier, J. A. ; Buxner, S. R. ; Hsu, B. ; Shupla, C. ; Dalton, H. ; Meinkie, B. ; Peticolas, L. Engaging Scientists in NASA Education and Public Outreach: Resources and Tools for Scientists. 45th Lunar and Planetary Science Conference, held 17-21 March, 2014 at The Woodlands, Texas. LPI Contribution No. 1777, p.2087. 2014.
- Grier, J.A., and A.S. Rivkin. Textbook: Inner Planets – Greenwood Guides to the Universe Series. Edited by T.F. Slater and L.V. Jones. Greenwood Press, An Imprint of ABC-CLIO, LLC, Santa Barbara, California. 2010.
- Grier, J.A., D.A. Kring, T.D. Swindle, A.S. Rivkin, B.A. Cohen, and D. T. Britt. Analyses of The Chondritic Meteorite Orvinio H6 – Insight into the Origins and Evolution of Shocked Chondritic Material. Meteoritics and Planetary Science, Vol 39, No 9, 2004.
- Grier, J. A.; Atkinson, D. H.; Barlow, N.; Griffin, I.; Hoffman, J.; Kelly-Serrato, B.; Kesthelyi, L.; Klein, M.; Klug, S.; Kolvoord, B.; Lanagan, P.; Lebofsky, L. A.; Lindstrom, M.; Lopes, R.; Lowes, L.; Manifold, J.; Mastrapa, R.; Milazzo, M.; Miner, E.; Morris, P.; Runyon, C.; Sohus, A.; Urquhart, M.; Warasila, R. L.; Withers, P.; Wood, Chuck Defining Long Term Goals and Setting Priorities for Education and Outreach, 2003 to 2013 - Panel Report. The Future of Solar System Exploration (2003-2013) -- Community Contributions to the NRC Solar System Exploration Decadal Survey. ASP Conference Proceedings, Vol. 272. Edited by Mark V. Sykes, 2002.
- Grier, J.A., A.S. McEwen, P.G. Lucey and R.G. Strom. The Optical Maturity of Ejecta of Large Lunar Rayed Craters, Journal of Geophysical Research – Planets,106, Issue E12, 2001.